Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Enough?

(Found in the drafts from the way back)

We all want God to talk to us because we think that that is going to fix things. We have problems and challenges facing us, and we think that if God would only speak, everything would be sorted. I'm starting to think this is not how it usually works. We often work, and want the world to work, systematically and linearly. We face challenges and questions, and we want to get them sorted out before moving on to the next thing. Makes sense, right? I think God operates off of a different memo.

A few weeks ago I was praying and bringing some "petitions" before God, and he answered me with a verse and a question. The verse was 1 Kings 8:56-61

“The LORD is worthy of praise because he has made Israel his people secure just as he promised! Not one of all the faithful promises he made through his servant Moses is left unfulfilled! May the LORD our God be with us, as he was with our ancestors. May he not abandon us or leave us. May he make us submissive, so we can follow all his instructions and obey the commandments, rules, and regulations he commanded our ancestors. May the LORD our God be constantly aware of these requests of mine I have presented to him, so that he might vindicate his servant and his people Israel as the need arises. Then all the nations of the earth will recognize that the LORD is the only genuine God. May you demonstrate wholehearted devotion to the LORD our God by following his rules and obeying his commandments, as you are presently doing.”

And the question was "Am I enough for you?"

I came to God with my questions, needs, and problems, and God said, "This is who I am, am I enough for you?"

I didn't let myself answer this question right away, I didn't want to give the right theological "head" answer, I wanted to give the "heart" truth answer.

At the end of the day, most of our prayers end up being about us, and I think this is fine, but don't be surprised when God's answer is about Himself. We bring before God all of our "stuff", dump it at his feet, and He says, "Okay, I see that. Now, am I enough for you?"

There was another part to this, because I need to answer another question as well. Do you (singular) believe that if you were the only person alive that God would have still done all the stuff that He did to save us? Would He have walked with you talked with you, showed Himself to you, sent His only beloved son Jesus to heal you and tell you about the Kingdom of his Father, and then die his tortured death on the cross for your benefit alone?

This was another question that I needed to answer with my heart, because God's full question/statement was, "Am I enough for you, because you are enough for me."

I took some time answering these questions, because they are kinda a big deal. I think this is where God's linear/systematic begins:

"If all you get in life is Me, will that be enough for you? If all I get is you, that will be enough for Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment